During and after a disaster there might be power outages that might last for days or even weeks. If you’re saving food for your family, you want to make sure that you’re picking the right options. These are the easy to use options that need no power, water or special preparation to have a delicious meal ready for your family. So how can you shop and save food for a disaster? Here are a few tips.
- Store non-perishable food that requires no refrigerating.
- Make sure that you’re storing food that your family members will actually eat. Avoid food types that your family members don’t like or are allergic to.
- Avoid food items that can make you extremely thirsty.
- Ready to eat and canned veggies and fruit are full of necessary vitamins and minerals. Make sure that you have a can opener nearby.
- Protein, fruit, and energy bars will give you the needed power so you can last for long.
Store your food in a cold dry place to keep it safe until needed. If the cans look dented or swollen, get rid of them. The food you store will save your life when the right time comes.