The National Preparedness Month is right in the corner! September is an ann…
We need to plan to make our family safe and secure when an emergency disast…
During and after a disaster there might be power outages that might last fo…
When there’s a disaster, business owners should come up with some measures …
The National Preparedness Month is right in the corner! September is an annual campaign for disaster readiness campaign. We do not have to prepare our homes for emergencies every day, yet we should be prepared as we do not know when the worst will happen.
You need to be prepared to live in peace and comfort. There are a couple of organizations and associations who disseminate helpful information. We want to keep it simple for you, we summarized the important information you have to grasp.
Make some research
You have to know what kind of disasters might happen in your location. There’s no such thing as disaster-free locations.
Familiarize evacuation routes and shelter locations
It is your duty to know the evacuation routes of your home. It is best to draw a map and post it nearby the door to give your family an idea where to go. In case of evacuation, you have to know which shelter location you have to go.
During evacuation, you have to follow the instructions of the local officials. Be sure to secure your home before leaving. If you choose to stay at home, prepare your battery-powered flashlights and radio.
Get emergency alerts
Sign up for an emergency alert, this is how local officials can communicate with you. Weather forecasts and National Disaster Risk Management authorities will announce severe weather conditions.
Stay calm if you are caught away from home
The odds may not be in your favor this time, you might be caught up away from home. We all know this is an unexpected emergency, stay calm. You should stay calm yet alert on how you would respond to the situation. Make sure to plan beforehand how you would reconnect to your family.
Emergency Supply Kit
It is important to have an emergency supply kit in your home, car, and workplace. You need to have the basic needs to survive a day or two when caught on an emergency disaster. Make sure that your supplies are ready to use and not expired.
You may have a family member who needs special attention
You may have a senior, infant, toddler, or person who needs special needs. When you plan for an emergency disaster, you should include the things that they might need. Moreover, you have to make sure that your neighbors know the situation. It is important to check on each other, we never know when disasters will hit.
Include your pets in your emergency plan
Emergency plans are made to keep our family safe and it includes our pets. If you have a pet, have a pet emergency kit. Do not leave them behind in times of trouble. Remember, they are man’s bestfriend.
Learn emergency skills
There are agencies and institutions who offer training courses for emergency situations. It is quite handy to know how to operate a fire extinguisher, shut off appliances in your house, and perform CPR.
These measures can surely save your life.
We need to plan to make our family safe and secure when an emergency disaster happens. Predicting man-made and natural disaster is not always definite. It can happen at any time. Some emergency disaster includes:
- Natural disaster (Example: flood, earthquake, tsunami)
- Terrorist attacks
- Disease outbreaks
Thus, it is best to be prepared at all cost. You need to have an emergency plan with your family. You need to discuss how to respond with different types of emergency disaster. Moreover, it is best to discuss how to prepare when it happens, this way you will know how to survive and work your way out. Do not forget to give each family member a role, so you would have teamwork.
Here are the following things to prepare for an emergency disaster:
Emergency Supply Kit
You need to gather the things you need to survive. When an emergency disaster strikes, there will be no enough time to search and buy for supplies in the market. Thus, buy the needed things beforehand. Your emergency supply kit should include:
- Prescription medicine that you maintain
- First aid kit
- Battery-powered radio
- Extra batteries
It is best to prepare water and food for at least 3 days. A person needs 1 gallon a day, make sure to have enough water for your family. Moreover, do not forget to prepare water for your pets. For foods, it is best to choose instant and canned foods. Do not forget to spare a can opener to your supply kit. Whistle and battery-powered radio will help you call for help.
After you have gathered these items, be sure to put it together in a bag or container that’s easy to carry. If possible, the container should be waterproof.
Where to put the emergency kit supply?
You are not sure where you will be when an emergency disaster happens. Thus, you need to prepare an emergency kit supply for the following places:
- Home: You should place the emergency kit supply in a place where you can quickly reach it. Moreover, make sure that all of your family members know where the kit is placed.
- Work: In times of disaster and you are stranded in your work office for at least 24 hours, it is better to have your emergency kit. These necessities can make you comfortable and safe for quite some time.
- Vehicle: It is important to have an emergency kit in your car in case you get stranded in times of disaster.
Furthermore, you have to maintain your emergency supply kit to be sure that all the supplies are ready when needed. Store your goods, especially the food in a cool and dry place. Also, check the expiry date of the items and replace them when needed. You have to assess the supplies in your emergency kit as the family’s need changes over time.
It is best to be alert and prepared at all times.
During and after a disaster there might be power outages that might last for days or even weeks. If you’re saving food for your family, you want to make sure that you’re picking the right options. These are the easy to use options that need no power, water or special preparation to have a delicious meal ready for your family. So how can you shop and save food for a disaster? Here are a few tips.
- Store non-perishable food that requires no refrigerating.
- Make sure that you’re storing food that your family members will actually eat. Avoid food types that your family members don’t like or are allergic to.
- Avoid food items that can make you extremely thirsty.
- Ready to eat and canned veggies and fruit are full of necessary vitamins and minerals. Make sure that you have a can opener nearby.
- Protein, fruit, and energy bars will give you the needed power so you can last for long.
Store your food in a cold dry place to keep it safe until needed. If the cans look dented or swollen, get rid of them. The food you store will save your life when the right time comes.
When there’s a disaster, business owners should come up with some measures to make sure that their data is safe. In addition to making sure that your employees are safe, you must be prepared for the worse, so your business operations can resume normally when there’s no danger. Here are some tips to help you save your business.
- Make sure that there’s a clear plan. Every employee should understand the steps and procedures that should be followed in case of danger.
- Organize all the data. All information should be collected from emails, files, and recording devices. This will help you save the most important data.
- Use cloud storage. This guarantees that your data will be safe in case the headquarters and hardware get severely damaged. Cloud storage options are extremely flexible so you can always pick an option that suits your business needs.
- There’s a potent way of saving data files. This is called the 3-2-1 rule. The rule is simple as the data should be saved in a single original version and two copied versions. It’s a good idea to keep a copy offsite.
Following these steps will help your business get into operation as soon as possible.